Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Settling In

Now that it's been two full weeks since landing in Rome, I can honestly say it's starting to feel normal. Yes, normal is a tricky word to use here, because everything about this experience is abnormal. Passing 2,000 year old monuments on a daily basis, riding Rome's Metro like I've lived here my whole life, and classes consisting of 3 hour museum and site visits..anything BUT normal! But in the midst of all of this activity, I'm finally getting settled into a routine and I'm fully aware of the fact that I'm halfway around the world.

Another sign that I'm settling in is that I'm starting to get frustrated with little things that phased me during the first two weeks here. Language barriers are becoming more evident, places are getting difficult to locate, and basic things that I would do with no trouble at home are becoming harder and harder. Today was my first really stressful experience- I needed to locate a bus-ticket vendor to buy tickets for a trip I'm taking this weekend. I went alone after class, and walked around one neighborhood for a good two-and-a-half hours with no luck at finding the place. I found my way back to school with no tickets in hand, and am now trying to find another way to make it happen. Even though right now it's a little frustrating, I know these tough little situations will help me out A LOT in the future, so I can't let them get to me. It will only feel that much better accomplishing something knowing that I had to work hard to make it happen.

I find that my weeks are much more packed than I imagined, and that they fly by so quick. Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning I am on site somewhere in the city, either at a museum or monument. My classes this semester are Art & Architecture of Ancient Rome, Italian High Renaissance, Baroque Art in Rome, and Pop Culture in Modern Italy. I love them all so far, and will definitely be seeing a lot of Rome thanks to them!

This weekend I am traveling to San Benedetto, on the eastern coast of Italy to visit with my uncle Darryl's relatives who live in the area. Saturday, they are helping me get to Ascoli Piceno, the town where my grandfather was born. I'm hoping to find some of my relatives in his home town! I have a picture of his house, and a few pictures of him and his family, so hopefully I will get the chance to meet some of my relatives while I'm there.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kenzie, Keep your chin up take each day as a new adventure. Get the translation book out an keep using it. Force yourself to speak Italian. It must be difficult being in a foreign place. I feel your pain, but I know you well and you will be just fine. Hang in there. Ciao Bella, MaMa Krott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mackenzie, I love reading your posts, it makes me feel so close to you, not in a different country! If anyone can handle living in a foreign country, its you! Things may be stressful now, but you will work it out! Love you so much!
    -Chloe

    ReplyDelete