Saturday, September 3, 2011

First Few Days in Roma

Sitting here in my apartment, five days after landing in Rome I still feel as though I'm on vacation. I saw more landmarks and attractions than I ever thought I would this soon into the program, and I feel like I haven't quite been able to catch my breath yet.

The flight here was my first international flight (3rd flight ever) so I clearly wasn't able to fall asleep just due to excitement. We left at 7pm from Philadelphia and landed in Rome by 9:30am- it got dark then light so quickly which was a little mind-blowing to experience. Each time I could spot land, I had the "Oh I'm finally looking at Italy!" reaction- and it wasn't until about the 5th area of land that it actually was Italy. Landing, getting our luggage, and taking the shuttle ride to the Residence was a chaotic two hours, but was all worth it when I finally got to see the place I'd be living for the next three and a half months. Our apartment has a large common area, with a kitchen, dining table, and sofa which leads into a bathroom. There are two bedrooms- my friend and roommate for the past two years, Grace and I share one room, and our other two roommates, Sofia and Alexis, share another bedroom. Myself and Grace's room have a door that lead out to a huge balcony overlooking the front of our apartment complex.

Entrance/Kitchen/strange light!
Dining room/living space
Me and Grace's room

Our bathroom! (bidet and all)
View from the balcony outside of our room

The first night we had a pizza party at the Temple Rome building, where we had our first, true Italian food. We then wandered around the streets behind campus and stumble upon the gorgeous Piazza del Popolo, which was much larger than I pictured:


Piazza del Popolo

We continued down Via del Corso (amazing shopping!), got to peek inside of a gorgeous church, then ended up at The Spanish Steps. We hit it at a perfect time, the sun was starting to set and I had my first goosebump moment. I could see three or four domes in the distance, and the city had the prettiest glow from the sun setting. Chills aside, we kept walking and eventually found ourselves walking along the Tiber, towards the Vatican. We first saw Castle Sant'Angelo, an ancient fortress very close to the Vatican. From there it was a dead straightaway to St. Peter's...SECOND goosebump moment of the night. For so long, I've waited to get to this amazing city, and there I found myself walking around St. Peter's square with a fabulous group of people who I had jut met a few hours before, taking everything in. Absolutely amazing.



View from a bridge over the Tiber; standing in front of Castle Sant'Angelo, the Vatican in the distance
Castle Sant'Angelo

Walking into St. Peter's Square

Grace & I in front of the Vatican
So yes, that was all in one night, and yes our feet and legs are feeling the pain! I need to keep reminding myself that I'm not here on vacation.. I'm living here for the next three and a half months. I'll get a chance to see all I want and more! I could go on and on about the first two days in Rome, but will have to cut this post short. I have a little catching up to do with writing, this first week has been a little hectic!

I will hopefully post tomorrow about some other things we did this past week, and of course about tomorrow's day trip to Todi!

P.S. To all of my family and friends at home, I love and miss you all so much! Wouldn't be here without you. :)

Good night from Roma! (this is at the top of the Spanish Steps @ sunset!)






2 comments:

  1. Just arrived home from the wedding and I have tears running down my face, you are an amazing person and i'm so glad your my daughter. Your eyes are going to see many more amazing things. Enjoy every moment. Love ya Ciao Bella!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Kenzie - WOW! what a beautiful city. I can just imagine your reactions to everything you are experiencing. How many times did you pinch yourself. We are looking forward to reading your journal and seeing some more amazing photos.
    Be safe and enjoy!
    Love Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete